Let’s travel together.

Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines to establish new airline in India

Read Article

ETW Staff Mumbai

Tata Sons and Singapore Airlines have signed a memorandum of understanding and applied for Foreign Investment Promotion Board(FIPB) approval to establish a new airline in India.

Subject to FIPB and other regulatory approvals, the airline will be based in New Delhi and will operate under the full-service model. Tata Sons will own 51 per cent and Singapore Airlines will own the rest 49 per cent. The initial board will have three members, two nominated by Tata Sons and one by Singapore Airlines. Prasad Menon will be the chairman.

Menon said,“It is Tata Sons’ evaluation that civil aviation in India offers sustainable growth potential. We now have the opportunity to launch a world-class full-service airline in India. We are delighted that we are partnering in this endeavour with the world renowned Singapore Airlines.”

Goh Choon Phong, chief executive officer, Singapore Airlines, said,“We have always been a strong believer in the growth potential of India’s aviation sector and are excited about the opportunity to partner Tata Sons in contributing to the future expansion of the market.”

Goh added,“Tata Sons is one of the most established and respected names in India. With the recent liberalisation,  the time is right to jointly bring consumers a fresh new option for full-service air travel. We are confident that the joint venture airline will help to stimulate market demand and provide economic benefits to India.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.